Thursday, December 25, 2008

Still 10-8 - My Mission

A note to those who might read this blog.



I started conducting inservice training classes for police officers in Pasadena, Texas as a favor to my friend from church (He was the Chief Instructor of the Pasaena Academy). At that time I was an Instructional Supervisor for the Deer Park ISD. After conducting a few classes I was encouraged to get my Police Instructor's Certificate which I did. As I taught classes in Stress Management (my Masters Degree is in Counseling), as well as what was then know an the old 10-20 required inservice classes. The more I taught the more I realized that I needed to know first hand how these dedicated men and women were using this knowledge in their work so I began to participate in their "Ride-Along program". I immediately learned two things; first I learned how dedicated these people were. They were cops in order to help people. That hasn't changed by the way. After 4,000+ hours riding patrol and over 20 years studying officer stress management I can honestly say that I rarely rode with an officer of whom I wasn't proud. The second thing I learned was how lucky the citizens of American cities are to have the people in blue (brown, green,etc.) to watch over them. In Texas, we have about 60,000 sworn law enforcement personnel and 40,000 jailers who work to PROTECT AND SERVE. They make a small to moderate income and receive little if any recognition. Believe me when I say, we the people of Texas have the best deal going. We have law enforcement, fire fighters and emt's risking thier very lives to make this a better state in which to live. In my city, we have a new Police Chief who has raised the morale and professionalism of our police department 100% and a Sheriff who is second to none. I know this Sheriff as a family man, a man of strong faith and a real cop's cop. The people of my town did themselves proud when they re-elected this sheriff.

I frequently get calls from the family members of officers and firefighters who are worried about the stress in their homes. I am always available and pleased to provide counseling for no charge. If they have a problem for which I do not feel qualified I can refer them to proven professionals who will charge a nominal fee if any. If you know of anyone who is in need of a shoulder to lean on or has a problem with a child in school, a marriage which is threatened, or worries about the job please show them this article and encourage them to write me or call me at 512-971-1918.

Stay Safe

Mr. G.

No comments:

Post a Comment