Friday, January 30, 2009

School's Alternative Programs & The Police Part II

In Part One I talked about the kids we place in alternative schools and how many of them become problems for the police. Of course many kids become problems for the police for many other reasons, however, ask yourself, "Is the gang problem growing with younger and younger members?" "Are today's juvenile offenders more brazen and less afraid and better armed than ever?" If you are not sure, ask a cop or a parole officer. "How is the Texas Juvenile Justice System today?" "Is it Working?"
Officials, take just a moment to look into the records of your cases and see how many display the behavior of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder and how many went to schools whose faculty had never had training in this field. How many kids that drop out are Reactive Attachment Disorder kids, kids who were physically or sexually abused at such an early age that they cannot attach themselves emotionally to anyone. "Officers, are they dangerous? Will they shoot at you?" Are Alternative Schools packed with these kids?
Like most of you, I was taught that I follow the orders of any police officer if they say, "Stop!" or "Come Here!" What do many kids do today?
Why am I bringing this up? I believe that many of theses kids are well within the window of reform if we change our alternative programs to be designed to address the above disorders and we teach the way kids learn best, not the way teachers teach best. Even though I am a retired educator, I still substitute in a wonderful middle school every day that I can and I know that the teachers for whom I have been a sub do utilize all major learning styles and many of the skills to which I have eluded in this article. I feel sure that many other schools do the same thing. What concerns me are the schools that don't address these issues. In future articles I will address "At-Risk" kids and why we are woefully lacking in recognizing them and helping them. To all the great cops and teachers out there I salute your dedication and applaud your courage. To the school districts who are only demonstrating in the enzone for public approval and not really addressing the problem I say GET HONEST! And REALLY do what you are supposed to do. Stop building hugh schools and create REAL Alternative Schools. While you are at it, take time to reward the teachers who are gong the extra mile and don't forget to say thanks to the police officers who are working to keep your school and your community at large a safe place to learn. Till next time I remain 10-08 - Mr. G.

No comments:

Post a Comment